Minister of Industries and Innovation
Mr. Steingrímur J. Sigfússon became Minister of Industries and Innovation on September 1st 2012.
Mr. Sigfússon is born at Gunnarsstadir in Thistilfjordur, a farm in the North-East part of the country, on August 4th 1955. He is married to Bergný Marvinsdóttir M.D. and they have four children, Sigfús, Brynjólfur, Bjartur and Vala. Mr. Sigfússon is the chairman of the Left-Green Movement, a political party formally established in 1999 in order to create a joint forum for leftists and environmentalists.
Mr. Sigfússon graduated with a B.Sc. degree in geology from the University of Iceland in 1981. He was first elected to the Althingi for the People's Alliance in 1983 and has been a member of the Althingi since then.
- Member of Althingi for the North Eastern Constituency 1983-2003 and for the Northeast Constituency since 2003.
- Chairman of the Parliamentary group of the People's Alliance 1987–1988.
- Member of the PACE Committee on Equal Opportunities for Women and Men 2008-2009 (Chairman since 2008).
- Member of the Committee on Foreign Affairs 1999-2009.
- Member of the Committee on Social Affairs 1999-2003.
- Member of the Committee on Economy and Trade 1991–1999.
- Member of the Committee on Fisheries 1991-1998 (Chairman 1995–1998).
- Member of the Althingi Special Committee on Constitutional Affairs 2004-2005.
- Member of the Icelandic Delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe 2007-2009.
- Member of the Icelandic Delegation to the Nordic Council 1996-2005 and 2006-2007.
- Member of the Icelandic Delegation to the West Nordic Council 1991–1995.
- Minister of Industries and Innovation since September 1st 2012.
- Minister of Economic Affairs and Minister of Fisheries and Agriculture 2011-2012.
- Minister of Finance 2009 - 2011.
- Minister of Fisheries and Agriculture, from February 1st to May 10th 2009.
- Minister of Agriculture and Communications 1988–1991.